Yes, you can safely take cannabis edibles! Just make sure you take the right product, at the right dose, at the right time. When in doubt, start low and go slow. And wait 2 hours before you take more!
What is an Edible?
An edible is any cannabis product that you swallow. This includes brownies, gummies, capsules, and oils (if you put them in liquid and drink them).
For any of these products to take effect, they must first travel through your digestive tract and get metabolized by your liver. And there are three parts to this process that makes edibles potentially dangerous.
- Time of Onset: This digestive process can take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes before a patient feels the effects of her cannabis. Some women may take additional doses of cannabis within this onset window, thinking that they haven’t taken enough when really they haven’t waited long enough. Then, when the effects do kick in, they discover that they’ve taken way too much.
- Potency: THC, the part of cannabis that gets you high, becomes more potent when it is metabolized by the liver, so it’s easy to get too high on lower doses.
- Long-lasting Effects: The effects of edibles can last up to 8 hours, and longer in rare cases. So if you do overdo it, you’re going to feel awful for a long, long time.
Patients who choose Cannabis aka Marijuana for Medical Reasons benefit the most from the consistent, long-lasting medication delivered through the familiarity; and ease of use of, an oral medicament.
Or MEdibles as they’re affectionately known, are exceptional for three groups of patients.
- Women with chronic conditions. Patients with pain, anxiety, nausea, or any other chronic cannabis-sensitive condition do best when we maintain consistent cannabis levels throughout the day and night.
- Women with sleep problems, particularly sleep maintenance issues where a patient may wake up in the middle of the night or early morning and have trouble falling back to sleep. For these patients, an edible at bedtime will keep cannabis levels in the blood at therapeutic levels throughout the night.
- Elderly or disabled patients who are already comfortable swallowing pills may prefer to just stick with capsules.
Remember – Edibles take 30-90 minutes to kick in and then the effects can last up to 8 hours. So plan to take your first dose when you wake up, your second dose 6-8 hours later (mid-afternoon) and your final dose at bedtime.
I am excited to help you find the best cannabis therapy for your particular condition.
If you want help starting or fine-tuning your cannabis treatment plan or if you need help finding high-quality, reliable, full-spectrum hemp products, please make an appointment.
If you have questions about medical cannabis, let me know!